The farm originally consisted of about 84 acres and was built by Thomas Proctor for the bailiff of Wallscourt farm.
The farm stayed very much as per this illustration, less the piggery behind the house, until 1985 when it was being used as student lodgings by UWE. Unhappily it fell into disrepair and many of the architectural features were robbed so badly it was almost beyond redemption. Happily the new owners, the MOD, repaired the damage and it is now used as a conference centre.
Stanley Farm - Notes by Mike Stanbrook
Stanley means a stoney clean in a wood. There are no direct early references to this farm but in a list of tenants for 1299 there is one Cecilia Stanlegh - holds half a virgate of land and pays at Lady day 9d and at Michaelmas 9d. Tenants Henry de Stanlegh, John Hambrok, John Heynes
As the Common people began to adopt surnames they often took names relating to the area in which they lived and it may well be that Stanley farm was established prior to the 13th century (Henry de Stanlegh 1345).
Stanley lies close to the Stoke Gifford/Filton boundary, with much of its land being in Filton. Beyond the farm was a detachment of Winterbourne (incorporated into Stoke Gifford 1885). For many years, Stanley farm was the only farm in Stoke Gifford not owned by the Berkeleys. The house was rebuilt as a Bailiff's house for the Wallscourt Estate in 1854.
Rooms; R.H. Side of Hall - Parlour - L.H. Side of Hall - Living Room, Kitchen behind
|Illustration Reproduced by kind permission of the Builder Magazine
Stanley Farm in 1915 from the Stoke Gifford Estate Sale brochure
|Views of Stanley Farm in 1985 by permission of Raymond Holland
Photographs by Mike Stanbrook c .1985
The following Photographs have kindly been supplied by the Ministry of Defence
DLO Photography and Video services,
They are Crown Copyright.
As can be seen from these photographs the Ministry of Defence has benefited the parish by restoring Stanley Farm to its former glory.
|Stanley Farm Cottages - originally Stanley Farm
Commutation 7 Tythes 1839.
Land owner Sir William Milman, Baronet
Occupier Daniel Weymouth
- List of Farm Tenants
- 1676 C.H
- 1724 William Chester
- 1725 Captain Yates
- 1735 Co. Gates
- 1737 Executors of Co. Yates
- 1741 Mrs. Jordan
- 1746 Mrs. Jordan
- 1749 Mr. Heart
- 1755 Mr. George Baker
- 1763 Mr. George Baker
- 1796 Mr. Isaac Gunter
- 1803 Mr. I Gunter
- 1839 Daniel Weymouth
- 1855 Ald. T Proctor
- 1861 Stratton
- 1897 William Mortimer