Sun Life Lake
A new pathway winds round the artificial lake. The water tapped for the lake is also the source of the little stream which winds its way behind New Road to Stoke Brook. The path follows the route of the old church path to Harry Stoke Road. The public footpath is diverted via Church Road and Westfield Lane.
A place where the three parishes joined, Stoke Gifford, Winterbourne and Frenchay. On the original map, the boundary lines were not quite accurate. 'If it is not in any of the other parishes, it must be nowhere; was the quote. Future maps were drawn correctly, but the name stuck.
At the junction of Coldharbour Lane and Filton Road there used to be an army camp near the site of the Crest Hotel. It had lots of wooden huts which were taken over by residents after the war in 1945.
The footpath route now comes along the edge of a ridge known as Simms Hill; a physical feature that has to be preserved, according to the previous Structure Plan. The Cemetery lies over to your right.
Stoke House was built in 1563 by Sir Richard Berkeley. The Berkeley family having taken over the Stoke Gifford manor in 1338. The house was largely remodeled in the mid 18th century by the architect and gardener Thomas Wright, who also landscaped the Park. The 'Dower House' is Grade 2 listed. In 1907 the Reverend Burden bought Stoke Park to establish a colony for the treatment of the mentally handicapped. Little of the original or 18th century style of the house is now visible.
Walls Court Farm
The Manor of Walls is recorded as being the third manor comprising the Parish of Stoke Cifford. An area of considerable woodland known as 'le Walls'. The farm was mostly so poor that it earned the name of 'Starve‑all Farm'. In the 19th century Thomas Proctor transformed Wallscourt Farm into a model estate. He left in 1861; and almost 100 years later, Hewlett Packard ‑ an American computer company ‑ bought the land (1960). They faced a dilemma of whether to demolish or retain the classic structure. The company chose to retain and restore the old building as a training centre.
Harry Stoke Colliery
Harry Stoke colliery was a post‑nationalisation venture which was intended to open up the north Bristol area of the coalfield. The colliery was a pair of drifts which passed through the beds at a gradient of 1 in 3. It was also intended to sink shafts once the drifts had reached the deeper measures; and thus the Harry Stoke Mine was to have been the beginning of a major scheme in the area. The driving of No. 1 drift commenced in the autumn of 1952. Unfortunately the bed roof conditions in the seam lowered productivity to a level where the colliery became uneconomic and the National Coal Board closed the mine in June 1963.
From the railway bridge at Parkway Station, New Road the old road, runs SW and was known as three quarter mile, or the mile straight. This road from Stoke Gifford to Filton replaced an older road which ran to Conygre Farm in Filton. New Road has also been replaced, for through traffic, by Brierley Furlong.
© Stoke Gifford Parish Council